Friday, July 1, 2011

Going to Victoria

The trip:
Monday night I drove to Red Deer to spend the night with Elaine.
Tuesday, I went to Olds for a fast visit with my Auntie Bea, the sweetest little lady in the world. She had a doctor's appointment so our visit was condensed. Then I drove to Calgary to have a short visit with my sister, Anne, at her work. The sun was shining and we had a good little chat in the shade of a tree. The receptionist knew immediately that I was Anne's sister - "do you ever look alike?" We've heard that before and it's always cute.
After leaving Calgary, I drove to Golden and stayed the night at Mary's Motel. It could definitely use new furniture, but it was clean and not terribly expensive. I found a Chinese food restaurant, family run, and enjoyed chow mein and egg foo yong. I didn't think anyone served chow mein any more. A travelling salesman was sitting at the table behind me and we began our conversation commenting on week old Calgary Sun papers that we were each reading. We had a good conversation. Being grandparents is a leveler for conversations. I had a reasonably good sleep at Mary's and was awake early.
Wednesday, I drove to Kamloops to spend the night with my dear friend, Dorothy. We met when she was 14 and I was 13 in Red Deer, Alberta. We talked and talked. I had a very good sleep at Dorothy's and was undecided about whether to spend another night because there had been a slide on Highway 1 between Hope and Chilliwack. However, the road was open according to the news and I decided to carry on.
Thursday was a big day. I had made a ferry reservation for 6 pm because I didn't know how long it would take me to go from Kamloops to Tsawwassen. I was there at noon and got on the 2 pm ferry. It was great. Getting to the ferry feels very confusing although I just followed the signs and got there. It seems to me "they" could make it more direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment